Saturday, January 10, 2009

Do you Facebook ?

Before last year, I had always considered the internet a fairly utilitarian tool. I never understood people who were constantly online or chatting online. I always got on the internet did my thing, and got off. I was a fan of Google, as I found it useful for getting directions and finding obscure recipes for German Apfel Cakes. The internet was also great for its convenience of online shopping, and no one can argue how revolutionary Amazon.com has been.

However, it's only recently, since last year, that I started this blog, and joined facebook. I at first thought I was too old for Facebook, and of course there was always that concern that once you put something on the internet, it was basically like exposing oneself. However, I came to realize that having a presence online is like driving. If you use good judgement and act responsibly, it can actually be a fun and useful activity.

There are those driven by the number of networks, friends, and social groups they can belong to, or applications or bling that they add to their facebook, but for me, I think the best thing about Facebook has been the ability to reconnect with people from my past - such as old highschool friends, former colleagues, college friends, etc.

The funny thing about Facebook is how much socializing and the ability to connect with people has changed. Even though I have been able to reconnect with friends and colleagues, I've never picked up the phone to call and say "hello" to a majority of my "Facebook friends". And except for small group of very close friends, it's doubtful that I would ever see any of these "Facebook friends" in person.

Which is why I found this video hilarious...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: